Saturday, February 14, 2015

I wheeled with the stars

Happy Valentines Day! Carm and I like to say that everyday is valentines day for us so we have no grand plans of supper with the hordes of other celebrators of love. No rivers of chocolate will flow through the house. Velvety red roses will not carpet the bed.

Like most people though, the daily ebb of life distracts us from declaring our appreciation of each other. Carm bought me a bouquet of white chrysanthemums, with orange gerberas and roses, so we’ll have white and orange petals on the supper table and I’ll cook a special supper, open a bottle of bubbles and maybe we’ll read sonnets of love to each other in the candlelight, or we’ll just watch TV.

20150213_204657-dad-birthday_01

Last night we joined my family for a celebration of my dad’s #3rd birthday. Mom served up tuna rice casserole with jellied fruit salad – right out of the 70s, and a favourite comfort food for some of us. She also had lasagne and salads for those who weren’t as nostalgic ;-)  Then, chocolate cake. Mom’s delectable homemade cake. I might still be flying from the sugar rush!

I’ll end with a few sentences from a sonnet by Pablo Neruda, a poet that my Aunt Kristine introduced me to just a few days ago. Some people are gifted with an imagination that lets them use words to paint a picture. As much as I try, the words in my mind are not a swirling whirlwind of snow that settles to the earth in drifts of perfect simile and metaphor. (see!!!)

‘Horses’ was the first poem of his that I read – I was hooked: http://fiercefragile.com/2011/01/27/horses-pablo-neruda/

The following is a snippet of one of his love sonnets. Sigh…

“And I, infinitesima­l being,
drunk with the great starry
void,
likeness, image of
mystery,
I felt myself a pure part
of the abyss,
I wheeled with the stars,
my heart broke loose on the wind.”
Pablo Neruda

valentine garland vintage image GraphicsFairy2

No comments: