Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Kabira turns 9

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”

~Roger A. Caras

Although she has some grey frosting her muzzle, Kabira is still in her prime. Perhaps she had the zoomies more often in past years, but she still has the occasional burst of speed down the snowy laneway. She’s a dog who likes to wear clothes, and is seldom seen without her fleece outfit – she’s always felt the cold, but might feel it more this year.

Kabira is the dog with a 1000 nicknames. Kabirdy (Grace made this one up), Kootie Kookaroo Kook, Kabby McTavish, Rooty toot toot beer (because of her colour), Kabarific, Stampy, Pookaroo… you get the picture - the list goes on but my feeble mind can’t seem to remember even the names I called her this morning.

2006_06-09_bella_kabira_08

2006_0513_kabira_04

20140419_145108-kabira

Some days I spend as much (or even more) time finding the right quote as I do writing the actual post. Today though, there were a multitude of quotes to chose from which goes to show how much dogs bring to our lives. Certainly my three dogs enrich my life and give me comfort. They make me laugh. They remind me that to find true joy one must live in the moment.

No matter how close we are to another person, few human relationships are as free from strife, disagreement, and frustration as is the relationship you have with a good dog. Few human beings give of themselves to another as a dog gives of itself. I also suspect that we cherish dogs because their unblemished souls make us wish - consciously or unconsciously - that we were as innocent as they are, and make us yearn for a place where innocence is universal and where the meanness, the betrayals, and the cruelties of this world are unknown. ~Dean Koontz

No comments: