Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Winter’s icy grip

An icy cold blizzard had us in its clutches Monday; yesterday the sun shone for a little while and did warm up to -10C. Today it is grey and snowing, but a balmy -6C. The dogs are tired of this weather, rushing out, not dilly dallying, when it is time to do their business.

DSCN7878

I ordered Bluetooth headphones from Costco last Tuesday - three days later, on Friday afternoon, they arrived. FedEx called from the road (our gate was closed) so I rushed out to get them. I ran back into the house the box clutched in my bare hands, ripping open the packaging as I went. My hands were still numb with cold when I unravelled the power cord and got it plugged in. Three hours was a long time to wait for them to charge.... Finally the indicator lights showed they were ready so I fired up my tablet, paired the devices, and got some music playing. Wow - great sound and so comfortable to wear :-) 

I have been trying them out on the treadmill while watching old episodes of Modern Family (that's the only TV that I have on our media server). I've also experimented with where to put my tablet for listening to music as I move about the house - I've found a spot that gives 100% coverage! I love not being  tethered to my tablet or mp3 player. Wireless baby - that's the ticket!

Sunday Carm was either asleep on the sofa or tucked in bed with some sort of flu or virus. I can't think of when he last spent the day malingering. Poor boy. That left me alone to work on my story for this weeks writing group meeting, and some movies. No Superbowl for us!

I went to see Hermey, the dentist, in the village yesterday - I was so glad not to have to venture out very far as the roads were still snow covered and icy. Hurray for local dentists.

When I got home from Hermey, Carm was chomping at the bit to go into the city to pick up the clipper blades and do some shopping at T&T. The main roads had seen the plow and had time to dry off a bit so the driving wasn't too bad.

T&T had the usual assortment of treasures (although we are starting to freak out just a little bit about eating stuff from China - I don't feed the dogs anything from there... I'm under the delusion that since T&T is owned by Loblaws there is some hope of safe food... We try to stick to products without too many ingredients, rice noodles come to mind. Although there is that jar of Tom Yum soup flavouring... fingers crossed!

 

Every winter,
When the great sun has turned his face away,
The earth goes down into the vale of grief,
And fasts, and weeps, and shrouds herself in sables,
Leaving her wedding-garlands to decay—
Then leaps in spring to his returning kisses...
~Charles Kingsley, Junior

No comments: