Thursday, March 19, 2015

Friends there's somethin' been hauntin' me

Music again - I was listening to “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia” and at the point in the song where Andy is lying in a puddle of blood, I was reminded of a song that I used to listen to from the time I was 10 until the ancient portable record player shocked me every time I touched it. The suitcase record player had been my parents, probably from the late 50s or early 60s. It stood on a stand in my bedroom that housed a small collection of records. The 45s I remember are: Gordon Lightfoot’s "Pussywillows, Cattails" and on the other side was "Black Day in July" (I really liked that one). Another was "Snoopy and the Red Baron", oh, and I couldn't forget "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini". There was a record collection of 78s that I'd sometimes listen to, and surely more that I no longer recall. I loved those songs and must have worn a groove into the vinyl.

When the mood was right I'd cue up 'The Drunken Driver' and play it over and over. The words 'puddle of blood' stuck in my head and would reverberate until all meaning was gone. I loved how he sang 'blood' and would try to copy him. I've thought about the song on and off over the years and finally looked it up on Youtube today: Ferlin Husky - The Drunken Driver (1954): https://youtu.be/cH-kykDYQw0  It may be one of the most depressing songs ever to be recorded (gives a bit of insight into me I think!). Well, maybe "Tell Laura I Love Her", also from that era tops it - thankfully I didn't have a recording of that one, but I do remember slow dancing to it in Junior High!

It is no wonder that Leonard Cohen seems up-beat to me after an introduction to music like this!!!

Here's something to perk you up: Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder: https://youtu.be/s23Ef1_oPHQ  - Yee Ha!

20150319_144530-dogs

It was still slightly below freezing today, but no wind, and with the sun - oh boy it was nice. I took the dogs out for a short outing - they could easily walk on the snow crust and before I knew it they were down by the creek. The snow just barely held my weight so I carefully made my way closer to them till they were in calling range. They were following the scent of something or other, but thankfully they know that I usually have a treat or two for them in my pocket, making me slightly more interesting than the tracks. It sure was nice to be in the strong sun!

20150319_144537-dogs

 

Friends there's somethin' been hauntin' me and I just got to tell you bout it
I saw an accident one day that would chill the heart of any man
And teach them not to drink a drop while the steering wheel's in their hand
~Ferlin Husky - Drunken Driver

No comments: