Sunday, June 21, 2015

Up up in the air

Carm and I split up today - he went to spend time with his mom while I spent time with my father. Mom made us a scrumptious breakfast of Eggs Benedict to sustain us for the main event of the day - a concert at the Aviation Museum.


We got there with a bit of time for Dad, who volunteers at the museum, to give me the Cole's notes tour of the highlights. It wasn't long before a few more people joined the tour with exclamations of what a great tour it was. Dad has always been an aviator at heart and was in the Air Force for awhile. He also had his own plane when I was little. It was fun to see him in his element and have him point out some of the planes that he had flown in, not to mention the contraption that spun its occupants around until they passed out. It was a fairly archaic machine with dangerous gears right where his hand would have sat. I wondered if anyone had lost fingers to its gnashing teeth.



Before the tour had completed it was time to climb the steps to our seats in the auditorium. The band was a string orchestra with a piano thrown in for good measure. The hour flew by.

It reminded me of the first concert that I went to with Mom & Dad - James Last and his Orchestra. He was a Big Band leader who was big in the 70s. Dad had all his albums, and I had one too. We were enjoying the concert immensely when some women came onto the stage and started removing their clothes! I was dumbfounded but found it mildly interesting that they could make the tassels twirl. I could feel my parents squirm in their seat. It wasn't the strippers per se that caused my embarrassment, but the fact that I was seeing them with my parents. Coincidently, he passed away a week ago.

Apparently the museum is one of the top 10 Aviation museums in the world, and I can believe it. I highly recommend a visit, and when you do, ask for Olaf :-)

The photo of me is in front of a length of one of the CanadArms. A new section of the museum just opened with stuff from space, including a suit and toilet.


All in all it was a most excellent day, at least for me and I hope it was for Mom and Dad too.

"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away." ~Dinah Craik

No comments: