Saturday, October 24, 2015

Sunny break

We've been home for several days … and there are 209 days to go till our next camping outing. I just made myself depressed - note to self: do NOT add a widget to my tablet to count 'days to go'…

The week passed quickly; getting the camper ready for winter, which included picking up a million nasty Asian beetles and bringing into the house things we might need for the winter required a fair amount of effort. Much of the rest of my time was spent thinking about writing or actually writing. Being involved in two writing groups fills my time with brain draining activity. Don't get me wrong though, I'm loving every minute! The creative writing group is a real challenge. I have a long way to go before I'll feel confident in what I write for that.

We have a shelf full of cans that are in grave danger of losing their flimsy paper labels… Thursday night I headed downstairs with an armload of cans that had come off the camper. I wanted to put them on the pantry shelf so they'd get used in good time. I plopped the black olives on top of another can. Hummm, that felt weird. I reached out to put a can of chickpeas onto the shelf and as I put it down noticed the sheet of thick black liquid that covered the whole shelf. WTH! Carm came down and we started the clean up. Can by can went under the tap to wash the goo off the bottom. What was the sweet smelling, sticky mess? Two (no, not one) containers of molasses had leaked from the shelf above. Boy what a mess. We'll be playing what kind of legume roulette this winter!

My writing topic for next week's WYL group is 'turning points'. We were at friends last night and I asked everyone what were their main turning points. It made for a spirited and interesting discussion. Nobody had to think very long to come up with a few life changing decisions. A question: is a turning point only a decision that you make for yourself or can it also be something that happens to you?

Friday I took a break from all this activity. My good friend Christina picked up up in her new (to her) Buick something or other. We had a good laugh over her driving an 'old persons' car, and gushed over how comfortable it was. We drove to the Warkwick forest conservation area - I'd never heard of it and was delighted with the lovely trails that were thick with fallen leaves. The thought of dropping to the ground and having a roll around briefly crossed my mind.

The sky was sunny and the light breeze slightly cool (high 9C). We had a wonderful high-speed walk (neither of us are dawdlers) which culminated in cups of hot tea drizzled with local honey. A perfect fall day.



My sorrow, when she's here with me, thinks these dark days of autumn rain are beautiful as days can be; she loves the bare, the withered tree; she walks the sodden pasture lane.  ~Robert Frost

No comments: