Monday, November 2, 2015

Happy Halloween Part 2

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all the writing I have to get done… this morning was 'creative writing'. It was a great meeting, but boy - talk about piling on the homework! Each week the assignment increases in complexity. Good though. I'll be referring to my notes often.

Additionally, I've only written about 100 words of Thursday's writing topic. I'm writing about the 1996 Cattle drive that I went on so want to do it justice - it was the best vacation ever. I've got the book that I got afterwards as well as my photo album to help jog my memory. Oh wow, it almost hurts to think about it.

And then this. I want to finish my story about Halloween night before I forget anymore details.

Okay, now where was I? Had the huge group of deaf people left? Their departure signaled the starting of music. Glen, the karaoke guy, had a full setup of controls, word prompt display and sound system. He was prepared for a night of fun! I don't remember what the first few songs were, but that's not to say that they weren't entertaining - they were. But when he started singing 'Sweet Caroline', I couldn't help but sing along (in my seat!!!). He sashayed over and stuck the mike in my face. Did that stop me? Oh no… I was wearing a disguise so continued with my off-tune bellowing. Very uncharacteristic of me…

The music continued. A woman took his place. She belted out a few good German songs, and then sang 'Natural Woman' with another guy who was dressed as a woman. A few more songs and a bearded guy took his turn. I think the first song he sang was a Frank Sinatra. I put down my drink and turned from the conversation. This guy was good. Not good like Glen, cause he was good too, but Talented. He could really sing. He could be 'somebody'. He sang several other songs over the course of the night, and each time you could see the audience turn to listen. I overheard someone saying that they would pay to go listen to him.

So that was how much of the night went - oh! I'm forgetting the costume judging when 10 of us stood in a line and the audience cheered for their favorites. I think I said yesterday that I was fourth (thanks again cleavage!). We collect our prizes then returned to our seats to enjoy the rest of the evening.

The door swung open and an older man stepped in, stood at the door and looked around. His tailored black leather jacket was clearly made to fit his slender frame. A matching black leather fedora crowned his time-worn face. Crisp black leather gloves finished off his perfectly styled look. Coat, hat, gloves? It was the black gloves that slightly slayed me. At first I thought it was a costume - it wasn't like anything I had ever seen anybody wear. I mean, who dresses like that?

He stepped into the room and walked briskly over to Glen, where they discussed matters to which only they were party to, then turned on his heels and left the building. I was intrigued and slightly irritated that I didn't have my camera handy. He was like a caricature of something that I can't quite pin my finger on. I found out later that he is a 91 (!) year old entertainer and that he was coming to see what was going on in the area.

Isn't life fun!

No comments: