Sunday, December 20, 2015

relief

As we rounded the last corner before home, I felt the familiar sense of relief at seeing the house still there and in one piece, and not burning down. Dogs and Grace would be safe and sound. I suddenly wondered if I was the only person who was that happy to be home so I asked Carm if he had similar feelings. It was the same for him. Is it the same for you? It's not like I worry when we are gone, at least not consciously, but there is always a lessening of an invisible burden and a whispered sigh of "we made it."

We had a multi purpose trip into town today: Carm visited his mom; I visited my mom & dad, Graham & the kids; Carm did some shopping at Costco. It was lovely to catch up with my parents, I don't see them as often as I should. Today mom got out her camera to share her NZ photos with us. It brings a tear to my eye to see the nieces so grown up. Carm ventured into Costco by himself on his way to pick me up. I would have run screaming from the crowds. And for sure we would have gotten separated and hopelessly lost. I find a busy store overwhelming and disorienting.

Where we love is home - home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

No comments: