Wednesday, January 27, 2016

easy pleasures

A pile of books sits on the coffee table with the sun streaming down on them like a beam from heaven. I thrill at the sight of them, not only are they lovely, if a little beaten up, they are bargains. The writing book that I just finished reading suggested E.B. White as an author to study. The store didn't have any of his books of essays - that will have to be Amazon - but they did have his three most famous children's books: 'Charlotte's Web', 'Stuart Little', and the 'Trumpet of the Swan'. Reading these books should give me some help writing Spike's Adventure.

I also happened upon a little book by John Steinbeck called 'The Pearl'. The sequel to 'Angela's Ashes' was also on the shelf. Frank McCourt is lauded as a memoir writer. As I read through 'Angela's Ashes' I have to remind myself to notice the writing as the story is captivating and I forget why I'm reading it. The writing doesn't get in the way of the story.

A book of short stories about dogs was also on the shelf - perfect for a number of reasons, the least of which it will be fun to read. Carm picked up something by Dale Brown (sci-fi).

As if the books weren't pleasure enough... the bill for seven books was two bucks (which in American money would be $1.40).

Monday we were thrilled to meet up with Jo Ellen and Don after such a long absence. She's been going through some stuff that has kept her mostly homebound so it had been several months since our last visit. I told Spike in the morning that she'd be coming - he perked up his ears and looked around. For their arrival I locked the dogs in our bedroom to give everyone a chance to settle in without dogs going crazy. I cracked open the door to let Spike out and told him 'Jo Ellen is here'. Well, he raced down the hall and into the kitchen where she was sitting, crying and yipping the whole way. You've never seen a dog so excited. He greeted her for several minutes before he could finally calm down. Jo Ellen was Spike's special friend at work, who often arranged meetings in her office in the afternoon when the sun made a Spike sized sun-spot.

Tuesday night we made a trip to the Sol de Acapulco for Elenor's going back to Australia supper. Seven of us enjoyed each other's company, not to mention a big supper. We've had lots of good visits while she's been here and are sad to see her leave, but now need a little break from the fun!

How's this for a full page of idle pleasures, and I didn't even mention the beautiful sunny days we've been having - pretty lucky aren't I :-)

"Writing in a diary is a really strange experience for someone like me. Not only because I’ve never written anything before, but also because it seems to me that later on neither I nor anyone else will be interested in the musings of a thirteen-year old school girl. Oh well, it doesn’t matter. I feel like writing."  ~Anne Frank

No comments: