Friday, January 29, 2016

getting started

I had that wonderful feeling of contentment tonight, much like the feeling one gets from an idle pleasure. I had just finished getting the pots soaked and was walking to the sofa. I still had 1/2 a tasty German beer to savour, I had my cuddly fleece sweater on and flannel pants. The evening stretched in my imagination - the news, then maybe we'd watch Paddington. Life is simple but satisfying.

We relaxed for a short while then decided to peel and mash some potatoes so we can make lefse tomorrow. Russet potatoes are on sale, and some sort of madness made Carm pick up 20lbs. That's a lot of potatoes for two people… By working together the five pounds were quickly peeled, cut, in the pot, and coming to a boil. We watched something on TV that I can't even remember while they cooked and then Carm mashed while I fine tuned the flavour. I'm happy to have them cooling in the fridge but honestly aren't sure if I'm up for another afternoon with the rolling pin. It took my back 3 or 4 days to recover after the last marathon batch!

Today it warmed up to -1C, warm enough to melt the snow on the front deck. I got outside a few times to enjoy the relative warmth and once to open the gate for Christina who was coming to visit. She got here just after Carm got home so we didn't have the house to ourselves, but Carm stays out of the way to give us a chance to talk. It was over a month since our last visit so we had lots to talk about.

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started."  ~Mark Twain

No comments: