Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Poodle Procrastination

For a long time I've known that the energy put into procrastinating could better be put into doing that which is being procrastinated. I know this to be true, yet I often don't action it. Today I did one of those jobs that I should have done weeks ago but have found countless excuses and reasons why 'today' was not the best day. Well, finally, today was the best day and I got the job done done.

The poodles hadn't had a haircut since mid September and since my habit is to do a proper groom every 5 weeks or so they were way, way overdue. They were covered in a thick hair that formed into ringlets. They even had ringlets on their toes (rings on their fingers and bells on their toes). The hair came off in sheets, falling to the grooming table in blankets.

As if the haircut wasn't horrible enough, they also got a bath. Squeeky clean dogs, all with short hair. There will be pajamas all around at bedtime.

Last night the windchill was -30. Today wasn’t windy and the sun was out, but it was cold. I stood at the window enjoying the sun, but I could see the cold in the air. It had a sharp look about it - I wasn’t tempted to even stick my nose outside. I’m a woos and haven't made it out of the house for a few days! We've reached the time of year when cuddling up with a book and sipping a cup of tea is the best way to spend a day. However much I want to hibernate, tomorrow more than my nose will venture forth as it is writing group day.

I finished my Christmas present book, "On Writing Well", which has been an excellent read, both entertaining and educational. Throughout the book the author has suggested readings and it just so happened that I picked one up at the used store this fall. Frank McCourt's 'Angela's Ashes' is listed as an excellent example of a memoir. I started it the other day and have to keep reminding myself that I want to learn from how he writes, not just gobble the story. I think I can apply some of his techniques to Spike's book.

(you’ll have to excuse the photos - Carm accidently had the camera set to effects).

What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.”  ~John Steinbeck,

No comments: