Monday, April 11, 2016

hanging on

We got hit with another few centimetres of snow last night. This seems to be a trend since we first thought we'd have an early spring in mid March. It surely can't last much longer as it is now mid April. I haven't even had the slides open on the camper yet!

It seems we are often busy, with family activities (Saturday was Erik's hockey game), and gosh, I don't know what else. I don't think I've been just sitting around, but honestly, my brain isn't working at top capacity - the sludge is getting worse - so I can't remember. I haven't written anything, not even writing practice, since my last blog post.

Oh, I remember one thing. We had Dave (who has visited a few times in recent months) for supper. We made roast beef with all the trimmings. My meat and oven thermometers worked wonderfully (how did I manage so long without - oh, I know… I didn't and we had many badly cooked roasts). Dave had brought a giant English Trifle and we opened a bottle of 1997 port to have with it. The pairing was ambrosia. I can't remember a meal that I enjoyed so much. Unfortunately, the yorkshire pudding didn't turn out that great - I was trying too hard since Dave is a born Yorkshire man and I wanted mine to measure up to authentic.

Sadly, we got the news on Thursday that my great Uncle Olaf had passed away. At 95 years old he had a good run. A hardy Norwegian that towered over everyone, he had a good sense of humour and kept his wits till the end. That generation of the family is dwindling quickly.

The silence depressed me. It wasn't the silence of silence. It was my own silence.”  
~Sylvia Plath

No comments: