Monday, June 6, 2016

swaney river

Beautiful, sparkling water is visible when I lift my eyes from my tablet. I catch a glimpse out of the window, or can put my tablet down, slip on my shoes and walk across the road to get the full monty. Lovely.

The dogs and I had an abbreviated walk this morning - I found a few areas for business, but not many steps. The swans were already out on the road, blocking us from our traditional morning march. After our short walk I went back to bed for hours (literally), then after coffee we loaded everyone up into the truck for a walk at Lighthouse Lane.

The wide, grassy field was welcome footing after so many days of asphalt sidewalks. With the wide expanse of Lake Ontario to the south of us, and bright sunshine warming the cool wind, it was a lovely walk.

These dogs are not what they used to be - their age and lack of fitness is apparent when we walk a long way. We reminisced about the long walks we used to take our first years coming here when we were all much younger and fitter. I know Carm and I could get in shape again, but I feel a sadness knowing that the dogs could not. I suppose it was then that it hit me that the dogs are no longer young. I knew it intellectually of course, but didn’t know it in my heart.




We met up with Brenda and Bill last night for supper, then we all came back here for a campfire. Around 10 there was sheet lightening in the distance - I called it quits and started packing up to go in. Everyone followed suit and it’s a good thing - the rain came down in buckets not two minutes after the party broke up.

Today we stopped at Brenda & Bill’s place to see the pair of swans nesting in the pond behind their house. Beautiful.


Brenda and Bill came over for another campfire tonight. We had a roaring fire burning when the first raindrops fell. The chairs were quickly stashed under the ‘fifth’ and we dashed inside to enjoy the rest of the evening. Later in the evening hugs and kisses sent them on their way.

Tomorrow morning we leave for home. Bittersweet.


“After all," Anne had said to Marilla once, "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string.”
~L.M. Montgomery

No comments: