Wednesday, July 27, 2016

not much of anything

I'm sitting on the swing, where the warmth of the humid air wraps my limbs like a hot towel in a Turkish bath, draining all energy. My arms and legs feel like jelly. Carm is out golfing, while I've been quietly enjoying this lazy day. I haven't gotten anything much done but today isn't a day for doing, for me at least. I have to talk to my doctor about reducing some of my meds as they are leaving me especially low in energy, sure, I feel good, but I also  feel like I could sleep for days.

Kirsten, Shawn and the girls are due back in Ottawa late tonight. While I'll be glad to see them again, the reason is too sad. I hope I'll be able to do some things with the girls to take their minds off the loss, if only for a short time.

The wind is rustling the leaves in the tall poplars, like a snare drum rolling before the main event. Occasionally birdsong accompanies it. All a chorus for Grace's cheerful whistles.

Today's read from 2013's blog had us driving from Kenora to Brandon, MB. The excitement of hitting the prairies was upon us, I think even Spike felt uplifted by the giant sky. The weather turned for us too - from periods of rain, to a bright blue joyous sky. We'd been on the road already for 5 days, but that 6th day was in some ways, the start of our vacation.

Yesterday we joined Jo Ellen and Don to see the new Star Trek movie. It was great, perhaps the best of the series so far (although I liked Benedict Cumberbatch in the last episode). We all enjoyed our giant bags of popcorn (no sugary drinks) and  didn't have room for a proper supper afterwards. It was only 4 pm though, which is early for dinner, even at our advanced age :-0

Cool water enveloped me as I slipped into the pool. A few times. When the heat got too much, I'd put down my book and ease myself into the refreshing water. Ah… heaven. There is perhaps nothing more lovely than an afternoon on the hot deck, comfortable in the shade of my swing, and the blue waters a step away. I was too lazy to make myself a fresh lemonade (lemons, limes, mint, ice, soda water). The ice would have just melted anyway.


Grace enjoyed her time outside except for when I spritzed her with the water bottle - she was noticeably hot and needed the cooling shower.

“I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”
~J.R.R. Tolkien,

No comments: