Monday, July 25, 2016

out of boredom comes friendship

A visit with my parents seemed like a good idea on Sunday. Mom wasn't there - she was helping a friend start taking care of Kenda's estate, but my dad and Graham were home. We visited for a while, then Dad and I went to see his friend Lorne and his wife. They are in their 90s and living in a retirement residence not too far from my parents. After a short visit with them, Dad and I went out for lunch - Dim Sum yum. I pigged out so much I could barely move for the rest of the day. Once Dad and I got back to my parent's place, Carm picked me up. I had to fight off a nap when we got home.

I have some advice for everyone: make sure your wills are up to date and somewhere that someone could find them. Tell those closest to you where it is to make it even easier. Keep a list of emergency contacts and phone numbers in an easily found place. I will add to my list: let your emergency contacts know who can look after your pets until homes can be found. I think of this one a lot.  You could be here one minute and gone the next.

I've been reading back to my 2013 blog posts about our trip west. On this day in 2013 we were travelling from Nipigon to Kenora. It was a long day with a short stop at the Terry Fox Memorial. Spike recalled the squirrels, while I recalled the hush that hung over the park. Spike's blog entries are from a slightly different perspective which is fun to recall.

We've been having another heat wave, and while it seems it might be a more comfortable 25C, today is overcast with a humidex of 37C.

Today I'm tired and my head is a groggy fog - I don't have the energy to do much but feel antsy and want to do something. Carm has been working on getting our 3 computers upgraded to Windows 10 - he's sick of computers and feels antsy too. What is a good activity for these sorts of days? One that doesn't involve eating…

Several hours later… just shut the gate behind Jo Ellen and Don. I had the great idea this afternoon to invite them over for a casual supper - it turns out they were bored too and had no plans so voila! A lovely evening.

"What people have the capacity to choose, they have the ability to change.”
~Madeleine K. Albright

No comments: