Saturday, August 27, 2016

her fading green glory

Standing at the top of the road to summer I could see the days wind around the calendar like golden stones on Dorothy's yellow brick road. I had to flip the page twice to see the end, which was not the Emerald City but a Russet and Orange blaze before winter. It seemed like an eternity would pass. Now the last few days till September countdown and I wonder where the time went.

Our summer started off with the Titanium Rally in Niagara Falls. Soon after that we were entertaining Merikay and Craig, full-timers from the states. Shenna's arrival from NZ was next, and the week following that Kirsten and Nissa arrived. Days of family fun preceded at tearful goodbye. Which was followed by a tearful hello when they returned for Kenda's funeral. Another tearful goodbye. Bruce & Tina here for a night, a night at Ruth & John's cottage, and numerous other dinners and events that don't immediately come to mind brings us to today: one of the last few golden bricks until the calendar rolls over to September.

It is 30C but there is an underlying cool breeze. It FEELS different from a 30C day in July. Maybe it is the light which is more golden, or the 'hey, how could there be a cold wind when the thermometer reads 30", or maybe it is all in my head because I know that it is August 27.

I got some new luggage! I won't be able to use the larger suitcase as it is too big for the Virgin Australia leg, so I have the mid-sized one laid out on the table with a trial set of clothes in it. I will have to be a bit careful with what I pack, but I should squeeze all my stuff in. There is also a matching carry on that meets the size criteria with room to spare. Carm jokes that I'll pack and repack dozens of times, but I'm pretty sure it will only be 1/2 dozen - not including this trial of course.

I'm determined to be able to climb the hills with Kirsten and the girls this January when I'm in NZ, and I wouldn't mind fitting into a few of the things I took with me last time so the treadmill has become my friend again. When I've been too tired or some other such excuse, I recall the Olympic athletes and their physical exertions. Surely I can make my tiny treadmill effort. I not only can - I WILL. I think the biggest part of turning diet and exercise around is mental so I'm going to focus on a good attitude.

Breaking away from healthy eating, last week we went with Trudie & Leo to visit a new brewery in a nearby town. It's in a spacious converted fire hall, which gives it a loud echo. We got a sampler which gave us a taste of 4 different beers. Each one was good, but our favorites were two IPAs. Supper was 1/2 a panini with a salad - they don't have a full on kitchen, just a counter with a few griddlers. Next time I might chose the platter w cheese & meats (although that is so far from vegan as to be ridiculous).

I had another break away at Trudie & Leo's when we were included for dinner and to meet other friends of theirs. It was a lovely evening and we were able to enjoy it outside in the garden.

Today I enjoy the cicadas - there is one in the tree that abuts the deck. Its competitors are in the trees surrounding the house. It is the quintessential sound of August.

"Whilst August yet wears her golden crown,
    Ripening fields lush- bright with promise;
Summer waxes long, then wanes, quietly passing
    Her fading green glory on to riotous Autumn."
~Michelle L. Thieme, August's Crown

No comments: