Monday, August 8, 2016

should I stay or should I go now

I sit here with fingers poised over my keyboard - should I nab this great flight to NZ or should I wait another year? This January my niece Shenna will be home, next year she'll be off to university and probably working a job during her summer holidays, so Jan 2017 might be the last with both girls at home. 'Should I stay or should I go now' says the song by 'The Clash'… my dilema exactly.

And then there is the guilt over leaving Carm on his own for month. He's a good sport about it and says 'book it', but I can't help feeling angst about leaving him.

Fingers are still poised.

Yesterday and today have been rest days. I was so exhausted that I slept past 11am yesterday. I wasn't much more energetic today.

If I'm going to NZ, I have to get on the treadmill every day and get myself in shape for the hills. Last time they ran me ragged, and I was already a tiny bit fit (fitter than now, that's for darn sure).

It is another hot day here in drought land. The grass is totally dried up, its brown blades crisp. Even some of the trees are starting to look limp. I can't remember a summer with more hot days - we are grateful for the pool and air conditioning. It has been a perfect summer to be home and not baking in the hot sun beside the camper. It's too bad we couldn't book Presquile (but just as well with the extended visit by Kirsten), and I'm really glad we didn't book Riverside instead. We've spent many days enjoying our place and pool - the first time in 8 years that we've spent so much time at home!

Fingers still poised I notice a tiny American flag near the top. Drat! No wonder the price was good, it was in US dollars…

After supper (tomato sandwiches) we had a visit with Trudie & Leo, comfortable and low key. A swim ended my day. Summer is good.

No comments: