Wednesday, September 28, 2016

flying harbingers

I spied a small flock of geese circling a field the other day - a rogue group coming early to get the best seats. This morning there were more flying harbingers of winter - the honking could be heard inside the house as periodic flocks passed overhead. Sigh.

The hand of oncoming winter has started to paint the leaves yellow, orange, and red. The colour of the light is special this time of year. Tinged with gold it casts a warm light over everything.

This afternoon I paced the house - hungry for more than some celery, a burger featured heavily in my thoughts. I couldn't shake it. I succumbed to my wanton desire and we drove to St. Albert. Juicy and thick with a skyscraper's worth of fries satiated me. So much for the diet. I'm not having fantastic success losing weight - too many lapses in willpower. My new scale is discouraging too… it weighs 2 lbs heavier than my old one… so when I look at it it seems I haven't made progress in weeks :-(

"Is not this a true autumn day? Just the still melancholy that I love — that makes life and nature harmonize. The birds are consulting about their migrations, the trees are putting on the hectic or the pallid hues of decay, and begin to strew the ground, that one’s very footsteps may not disturb the repose of earth and air, while they give us a scent that is a perfect anodyne to the restless spirit. Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns." ~George Eliot

No comments: