Sunday, October 2, 2016

hema what?

The pitter patter of rain of the roof kept the dogs asleep till past 8:30 am, and even then they weren't keen to do their morning ablutions. But the day must start sometime so I pulled on my clothes, including jeans, which was a mistake (more on that later). With leashes attached to collars we all tumbled out the door. No rain, just wet, slightly mucky roads. We stayed as much as we could on the grass (my boots are now drying out before they get another coat of dubbin) and made it to the field without much difficulty.

Trudge trudge. Bella stopped to poo. I dug into my pocket for the bags I stuffed there this morning. And came up with bags that started falling apart in my hands. Oh.

Luckily, I am ever the boy scout and am prepared for whatever may happen. A roll of bags dangled from my belt loop. Inside my coat was another pouch with 2 rolls of bags. Be Prepared!

Last night we cozied up to a flickering fire with Bern and Sue. We met them here last fall and started a conversation. We ended up sharing a fire. We were pleased when we pulled in Friday to see their trailer. I felt we made a connection and hope to extend it.

There is something so primitive about sitting around a fire, it touches the deepest part of me. I can imagine our ancestors hunched over a piece of meat roasting in the flames, maybe with a fiery club ready to scare off hungry wolves. Safety in the glow.

This morning we went to the flea market - Carm wanted sausages. We walked the aisles inside the rambling building, looking for bargains, plus I was hoping to find a necklace to wear on our trip. We both commented that it didn't seem as junky as usual - maybe our eyes are getting practiced at seeing past the detritus to the odd good thing. It didn't help me though, I came out empty handed. I did see a necklace that I liked a lot, but we weren't sure hematite would be a good material. Does anyone have experience with it?

Back to the jeans. The wet grass soaked the bottom foot of my pants which left me with a pair of capris to wear out to the flea market. Picture pants halfway down my calf with wool socks and blundstones (short boots). Quite the fashionista! I’ve always been a bit unconventional :-)

a few hours later and we are back from the flea market. A few queries on google alleviated our concerns about the hematite. So I snagged a hematite that looks like black pearls, and a pendant made from opalite. The stall had a wall of pendants made from various semi-precious stones… I could have chosen a dozen!

October is Nature's funeral month. Nature glories in death more than in life. The month of departure is more beautiful than the month of coming—October than May. Every green thing loves to die in bright colors.” ~Henry Ward Beecher (1813–1887)

No comments: