Wednesday, October 12, 2016

how many laps?

The words 'a haircut on your face' send the poodles searching for cover. It is the most despised part of a hair cut, and sadly for Bella and Spike, they get their faces done once or twice between full cuts. Today they were assaulted by the clippers, a long overdue torture. Now they don't look like abandoned dogs.


I do get out for a 20 to 30 minute walk first thing in the morning, so was familiar with the microclimate of the island. I was still inside at 11:30am with the sun tempting me outside, except the wind was blustery. It seemed perfectly reasonable to snuggle inside with the sun shining through the window onto my back. Eventually I budged from my comfy roost to stick my nose outside again. The sun had done its work on the cool breeze, warming it up enough to lure me into a chair outside. This site has a fantastic view of the water so I enjoyed watching a few ships pass.

I don't know much about shipping on the St. Lawrence and wonder if the boats require a special pilot for parts of it. There are three set of locks and numerous narrow channels to navigate. I hope that Chuck has some info to share.

This afternoon my tummy rumbled and my tastebuds clamored for a bagel with cream cheese. Closest location of a Tim Hortons is 15 minutes away. That didn't stop us, plus there was some shopping that Carm wanted to do. Lunch, Canadian Tire, Giant Tiger, and finally an RV shop for lap seal.


Back at the camp Carm got changed into grubbies and climbed the rickety ladder to the roof. With great care he fortified the areas that might let water into the villetta. We had a long discussion this morning about how much we love our villetta - plenty of reason to take steps to protect it from harm.

Our afternoon walk was lovely. The sun shone and the woods sheltered us from the wind. A million scents tantalized the dogs, glueing their noses to the ground. We did make it to the group area with all the lovely apple trees and found a few windfalls. Today's apple was hot from the sun, bringing forth the essence of the apple.


My mood has dropped over the last few days. From week after week of 'peaceful easy feeling', I'm now just okay. I wouldn't go as far as saying 'blah' - just flat and a bit irritable. I'm not sure if it is because camping is almost over (less than a week to go), or if I'm sick of camping and just want to go home. Most likely it is just the normal rhythm of my moods. I looked back to Octobers in the past and see a similar trend. Time to pin a photo of our cruise ship onto my wall…

"Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.”
~W.T. Purkiser

No comments: