Monday, October 17, 2016

let us be greatful

Playing house in the camper, where nothing is pressing and even the cleaning is small and easy to do is a fun way to spend  a cloudy, cool October day (or any day for that matter). My little vacuum whips around in no time, and the floors get a quick wipe with dampened paper towels. My little fake fireplace flickers and the satellite reels off some ancient tunes from the 70s. I dance around on the hardwood floor. Today is special though - after years of not using the little propane oven it is on duty. I have a playhouse sized prime rib which will be just big enough for two. The yorkshire batter is ready. Fake mashed potatoes and canned green beans will round out the meal.

I just checked on the oven temp and got a face full of cooking meat smell. Is there anything that smells so good as a cooking roast beef? Especially for this mostly vegan eater. (at least I say mostly, these days it is occasionally vegan, more in my mind than practice). Oh my, I can hardly wait for supper!


It was supposed to be sunny today, but Mother Nature didn't cooperate. But that's okay. This morning we had our first pooptastophe since we started camping 9 years ago. It was a perfect storm: camper forcing us off the road, dogs desperate to poo, me picking it up, camper stopped beside us and a barking dog stuck its head out the window. Well, the bag in my hand got scraped by Spike's leash and wham, yuck. Luckily I didn't notice some of it until we got back to camp or I would have been freaking out the whole way. Good work for the jet setting on the hose…

But back to supper.

… later… roast is out of the oven resting while the yorkshire cooks. I can’t even begin to describe how good it smells in here :-)


… later still… ummmmm.

“Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.”
~Marcel Proust

No comments: