Sunday, October 23, 2016

now I lay me down to sleep

I dug out a pair of sheepskin lined UGG boots to wear in the camper yesterday. It was cold out - maybe 4C - and raining, but I couldn't let that keep me in the house. I had a lot of winter preparations to get underway. A tower of large plastic bins sat ready just inside the camper door. I got to work, laying them out the length of the camper. Food, favorite cooking utensils (including the microwave/stovetop/oven dish, clothes and a multitude of other odds and ends made their way into the waiting vessels. Some stuff got unpacked, but much of it will live in bins for the winter, ready for spring.

I didn't take things into the house, I left that for Carm to do today (when it wasn't raining), but it still took me a couple of hours, with trips into the house to warm up. Raindrops fell like melting icicles as I made the dash for a warm tea. Once my pants were soaked I gave up, knowing it was an easy race to the end for today.

I'm happy to say it is all done. The sun came out, but the wind still blows, a chilly reminder of what is to come. The camper is ready for bed now, a long winter’s sleep: the water lines have been blown out and filled with non-toxic antifreeze; everything is in the house; and Carm unhooked the PVR and modem. Oh sure, there is going to be the odd thing I forgot, but the slides will be open until just before the snow flies giving me a chance to dash in and get the missing item.


We had lively discussions last night when Trudie & Leo dropped by (with an apple pie I might add). American politics is on everyone's lips these days - the end of the election will leave us with much less to talk about (at least I hope so, if you know what I mean!).

I guess with camping over - I did shout out some swear words to the pets that it would be SEVEN Fing MONTHS till we next camp!!! They looked at me, puzzled at the outburst and not really understanding I word I said, except maybe 'camp'. Oh, where was I going with this… with camping over we'll focus on our next adventure, a cruise to the Caribbean.


I'm glad it is a sunny day today as it helps to keep a positive mood. So far this fall I've been lucky enough to have steady moods. I will do what I can to keep this up.

"The breath of autumn had already passed along the foliage, and a coming death had spread over its hues golden, brown and crimson—a strange gaiety of decay, which, with all its beauty, carries an idea of sadness into one's heart." ~T.H.E., "The German's Daughter," 1840

No comments: