Friday, October 21, 2016

settling in

As luck would have it, our camping summer ended on exactly the right day. Wednesday morning was bright and sunny with only a hint of wind, and while it seemed that it might be a good idea to extend our visit by another day, the weather forecast told us otherwise. So, we packed up our villetta for the last time this year and made the trek home. We got the basics unloaded with plans to 'get to it' with more impulsion the next day…

Thursday was not so nice. A light rain fell all day discouraging us from getting busy. I did do a rearrange of the camper closet, purging a few things in the process. I unloaded the extra clothes that I had brought on board (and there were a few tall stacks - whatever was I thinking). Some clothes live on board all year so they stayed in place. I think I only brought in 4 loads of stuff. Incorporating everything into the house was challenging, and I'm left with closets bursting. The hard integrate is yet to come: food, books, dvds, coffee maker, etc. etc. etc. still to come in. Much of it will be stored in bins, ready to deploy next spring, but it is always a challenge to find places to store them.

Today (Friday), it is raining harder. Not much will migrate to the house today, unless the rain lets up a bit, but I guess that's okay.

Making the transition from villetta to house can be challenging, depending on how long we've been away. The longer we've lived in the confines of the camper, the harder it is to adjust. Our simple living quarters are somehow soothing. A large house full of too much stuff and too many projects can be overwhelming, sending the peaceful easy feeling scurrying away. There is always one thing to soothe the transition though - my lovely bathtub - about the only thing I miss about our house. A hot bath with bubbles up to my chin is a welcome pastime. Oh, that and not having to walk the dogs first thing in the morning. (I've indulged in two long sleep-ins since we've been home). And there is the fact that I can use water with impunity. On the camper we are limited to 49 gallons of grey (sinks, we use the campground showers) till we dump (moving the camper to the dump station  - giant pita) which means stretching out every dishpan for maximum use. The longer sofa in the house is nice too - I can curl my legs without forcing Carm against the arm on his side.

I guess there are things to love about both homes!

After all," Anne had said to Marilla once, "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string.”
~L.M. Montgomery,

No comments: