Thursday, October 6, 2016

the birds lingered

We had a wonderful evening out at the Sol d’Acapulco (the German/Mexican place that we so often visit). I had the Jagerschnitzel which is a schnitzel (what else) covered in a mushroom gravy with red cabbage and spaetzle on the side. It is one of my favorite dishes there. I ate the whole thing though, and that, paired with chocolate birthday cake (Vashek), left me with a stomach ache well into the night. Totally self inflicted but oh, the infliction was good!

Tendrils of fog snuck over the road in places as we drove back to camp. I was glad it wasn't any later as I'm sure the fog got worse.

I really don't mean to be repetitive, but it is another amazing Indian Summer day. Hot and not a cloud in the sky. I sat outside with my big floppy sun hat shading my face and boiled. Finally put down the awning when it seemed that it would make some shade - it was perfect: head and upper torso in shade, bottom of legs and feet in the sun.

I was remarking to Carm this morning, as we were in and out of shops in Morrisburg, that I feel remarkably calm these days. I think it is the camping: no big to-do list, a small easy to clean abode, regular walks. I am diligent about keeping home stuff out of my head. Life is simplified leaving me with no real worries. It is a constant 'peaceful easy feeling' sort of time.

We skipped our really long walk today, giving the old dogs a day of rest. They've been dragging their feet the last couple of days. The warmth combined with being out of shape is taking their toll on them. The advantage of their weariness is that they don't drag me (as forcefully) to the squirrels who seem to be out to taunt them.



"Each day the sun shone, the birds lingered, though the trees were turning, purely out of habit, and their rose and yellow and rust looked strange and beautiful above the brilliant green grass.”
~Elizabeth Enright

No comments: