Friday, October 14, 2016

the most fortunate

A keen wind howled, rattling the camper door, but we were warm inside our cosy villetta. The fireplace flickered (okay, it is only an electric one), and the smell of apple crisp wafted through the air. The crisp was baking in the propane stove, a good test of the appliance. At 9pm I zipped up my windbreaker to take the dogs out. We weaved around the potholes filled with water, sticking to the mucky road as we did the circuit. The trip into the cold (at least it was no longer raining) made the camper feel more like a cosy berth and I hunkered down in a pile of blankets to watch a bit of TV.

When my program ended Coronation Street came on. I've never really watched it before, but before very many minutes had passed I found myself becoming addicted. That takes some skill in writing! I may have to watch it again with a mind to technique.

Today the clouds were sparse and the sun was strong. It was cool though: 13C. It was a good morning for breakfast out, and an even better day for a long walk. We walked all the way to the tip of Morrison Island, discovering a section of the old highway 2. There is something about a nice day in October that is special. The sky is bluer and the leaves are like so many orange, yellow and red flower petals.



The most fortunate are those who have a wonderful capacity to appreciate again and again, freshly and naively, the basic goods of life, with awe, pleasure, wonder and even ecstasy.”
~Abraham H. Maslow

No comments: