Wednesday, February 1, 2017

quiet, rainy days

There was unhappiness around here on Wednesday… the day before Nissa’s first day back to school after summer holidays. It didn’t help that it was a windy, drizzly day unsuited to outdoor activities. No pony time to distract from the woes.

We all hung around in the morning, sipping our coffee and eating toast. The grey sky did not motivate us into action. In the afternoon Kirsten and I headed into town to run some errands. We wound our way up and down and around the hills - I never knew which direction we were headed as the switchbacks had me all turned around. By this time the weather had worsened, I felt certain that a hurricane was upon us!

One of our stops was a plumbing store that had all sorts of lovely fixtures at ridiculous prices. Building supplies are much more expensive here. Another stop was at a huge building supply store, much like Home Depot. Prices varied with some being comparable to ours, while others were crazy.

At the grocery store we picked up Nissa’s favorite supper, and I got a bottle of Pinot Noir to try with dinner tonight - it is from Martinborough, which is where we drove around the other day - I’m hoping it will be a good one to bring home for Carm to cellar.

After supper we all played cards (hearts) - lots of laughs especially when I tried to ‘take control’, but gave it away when I played my queen of spades. I am a terrible card player as I have no poker face and giggle when confronted.


Today everyone is out and about, leaving me home alone for my first ‘chill’ time since I got here. I miss the hustle and bustle of the family but am also enjoying a quiet time. I feel very much at home as the 3 dogs jump up occasionally to bark wildly at the window.

I just might have a nap.

It is raining out and the wind is due to pick up this afternoon. Another forecast calls for the rain to stop and the skies to clear. Don’t like the weather? Wait 5 minutes and it might change, or get worse. Last night was actually calm so I slept well.

No comments: