Thursday, March 16, 2017

make that a maple bacon donut

The snow came down yesterday sequestering us in a swirling storm. We had no fire burning but were warm just the same. Instead we cuddled on the couch and watched movies. Well, I watched 'Tangled', Disney's version of Rapunzel, while Carm slaved away outside snowblowing. I felt slightly guilty and tried to do a few things around the house… Then we watched a Humphrey Bogart/Lauren Bacall movie which was too complicated for a snowy day.

Today the sun is shining strongly. I was squinty eyed when we took the dogs out. Small patches on the laneway where a tiny circle of dark gravel is showing are starting to melt. The whole process has to start again as we got over 20cm of snow - it all has to go. Smooth and sparkling, the surface has a welcoming look - I want to dash right through and throw myself into the pillowy blanket, but at the same time want to preserve the pristine landscape. Drifts in places are hip deep, much too deep for dogs, who stick to our paths in the fathomless parts. An avalanche comes in the house with the poodles on every trip. With all this mopping my floors should be clean(ish). Once inside, Spike lies on the futon looking out the window with a slightly depressed demeanour. The dogs are all ready for spring and a return to running in the field. If only there was somewhere (without people speeding past us at 100km per hour), to go for a walk.


The poodles need a haircut but it seems cruel to shave them when it is still so cold. Maybe next week will be better.
I need a trip to the hairdresser too, but am trying to figure out the best timing so it is the right length for our trip (less than 50 days!). Do I get it done now and then again right before we go? Or do I wait for a few weeks and hope it grows slowly? It seems like too complicated a decision right now.

Since I've been back from NZ I've gotten so lazy…

By mid afternoon we were both antsy - too many days stuck at home - so we headed into the village for a maple bacon donut, fresh from the bakery. On our way we stopped to help pull a woman from the ditch. Blowing snow was causing drifting in some areas so she must have hit that spot going too fast. It was treacherous and dragged her off the road. I almost wore a lighter coat but at the last minute grabbed my down-filled parka - I was glad I did as with the wind it was mighty chilly out there.

A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”
~Albert Einstein

No comments: