Sunday, March 19, 2017

passing echos of winter

I'm sitting on the sofa cuddled up in the cardigan that Kirsten gave me and flannel poodle print pjs, a box of tissue by my side. I haven't had a cold for ages but it seems my immune system got run down. How, I'm not sure as I've certainly been 'resting up' for these last several weeks. Maybe that is the problem. Or proximity. Carm brought it home a week ago and suffered through the effects for several days.


I have been outside, briefly, to cut the dog's nails. I bloodied Bella twice, Spike once, and Kabira not at all although you wouldn't know it from the way she carried on - she yelps and screams even when I didn't have the nail cutter near her…

a little later in the day…

Just got back in the house from a sojourn on the front deck. I pulled one of the deck chairs into the sun and tipped my head back to soak in some rays. It was warm although I could feel the cool from the melting snowbank beside me. The red-wing Blackbirds were staking out their territories; their distinctive song ringing through the air. The tinkle of melting water played the accompaniment. The dogs stood on the partially melted laneway, seemingly in bliss.

“I hear the passing echoes of winter and feel the warming spring on my face.”
~Terri Guillemets

No comments: