Thursday, July 20, 2017

eyes turned skyward

Mid afternoon: inside, watching black clouds gather, severe thunderstorms in the forecast.

Carm has already gotten a patch of grass cut, pressure washed Grace’s cage, threw a load of dog stuff into the laundry, and washed the car and truck. Some of it before I was even out of bed. Me? I got a pot of beans cooked and then transformed it into delicious, healthy hummus. Oh, and I scrubbed the area that Grace’s cage sits in. And I did do a few steps on the treadmill - one day closer to creating a new habit.

Driving the back way to Jo Ellen and Don’s last night with my earworm on my mind, I thought of the trips we used to take when I was a child. Unlike other people who took road trips, we often flew to our destination. My view out the window wasn’t of ditches and fields. Well, that isn’t exactly true - I did see fields, just from above, and the whole thing at once, a flat patch of colour on the ground. Roads formed a grid across the earth. Farms and houses were just tiny toys. I still like the birds-eye-view and fight for the window seat when travelling by air.

I never tire of the view from the ground though. I love to see the landscape flash by the window. I savoured every moment of our 2013 trek across Canada to Alberta and don’t recall ever being bored of the changing landscape.

Maybe it’s time for a road trip!

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
~Leonardo da Vinci

No comments: