Tuesday, July 18, 2017

food and cheer and song

We celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary on Saturday. As is our usual custom, we wrote sappy notes to each other and looked at our wedding photos. At the back of the album are a few photos of us with our three dogs and two cats from around the time that we got married. I am shocked to realize how long ago it was that these animals were with us. I think of having an Irish Wolfhound as something that happened not that long ago, but I was wrong. I think it was 1996 when Max left us.

We’ve always had dogs in sets of three: Chetta, Ranger & Max; Pan, Grizzle & Titan; and this last group, Bella, Kabira & Spike. That’s a lot of dogs.

We finished our celebration with supper at the Keg with Peter and Julie. They were married on the same day that we were, just ½ hour before us. We told the staff at the Keg and they treated us to a dessert. I wonder if they believed us? We also go to the Keg on Carm’s birthday with Bruce and Tina. Bruce & Carm share the same birthday, but not on the same year.

Sunday we did a quick trip into the city to visit my parents.

Yesterday we got haircuts. It was a reasonably nice day and I’d like to say that it didn’t rain Sunday night… but… it did.

Trudie & Leo came by for an easy soup supper Monday night. I’m starting to get the hang of the instant pot, but I was working from two recipes again yesterday so may have flubbed a few things. As soon as I’m in the mood I’ll re-write into one so that I know better what I’m doing.

Today (Tuesday) is hot as heck. Carm is away for the day doing car maintenance stuff, while I lollygag around the house. Actually I got busy and went through all my mixing and serving bowls - I have stacks of them - and cleared out a bunch to go to the thrift shop. Then I tackled the two (yes t w o) cupboards with plastic containers. There are heaps for recycle. My cupboards look tidy, and only mildly overstuffed :-0 I did wimp out on one of the shelves (non plastic related) so will have to face that pile of junk still. It felt good to move forward for a change.

Now (2:30pm), I’m on the swing, sipping some Earl Grey tea. The air feels soft and warm, like a caress from a cashmere sweater. I’m just a stone's throw from the pool so once I get hot enough I can splash in the cool water. Summer bliss. There hasn’t been enough swing time this summer and it is already past mid July.

Now again (after supper), I’m on the sofa, watching the news. Weather forecast is calling for 3 days in a row with no rain! We are nicely full after a vegan supper cooked in the actifry and the instant pot. I could have used the stove and microwave but it’s more fun using my new appliances.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments: