Sunday, September 24, 2017

love and hope and certainty

Humidex: 39C (that’s about 102F)! It is September 24th and the only way we can stand to be outside is to be freshly cold from a swim. Inch by inch I slip into the water, cold slowing my progress, then with a final jump I’m in up to my chin. It’s almost unbearably cold at first, but then, as my skin numbs, it becomes delightfully refreshing… for a few minutes anyway.

Despite the hot weather, the pool has only gotten up to 74F - if it was summer with these temps we’d be well into the 80s. But we are rejoicing that we can swim at all.

The geese have started coming - it is very strange to hear their honking while we are limp with the heat.

Despite the wilting heat I’ve dragged the dogs out to the field a few times. I can’t resist walking along the fairytale path with purple flowers brushing my legs and hundreds of butterflies filling the skies. For a few minutes I am transported into a scene from Bambi or Cinderella and I’m singing in a sweet voice and dancing, my rags being transformed into a silver gown.

Yesterday we attended our niece Grace’s wedding. It was a lovely ceremony in a park with a large stone pavilion to keep the beating sun off our backs. The bride and groom were backlit by a view out over the Ottawa River. So lovely.

After the ceremony we went to Carm’s sisters for a sandwich and for me to change into my silvery ensemble. Bracelets glittered on my arms, and the dress itself had a waistband of glitz. My shoes glinted in the sunlight. I sparkled. I love bling and this outfit was fully compliant. I should have been dancing with the butterflies.

The reception was in an old horticulture building on the fairgrounds. It has been renovated with beautiful tall ceilings and windows along one wall. No air conditioning though. It was a great party with a tasty meal, and lots of speeches leading up to a night of sweaty dancing.

The bride glowed with love and hope and certainty of her future. I could see from the long glances and lingering touches that this love had rubbed off on other couples, ones that have been married a long time. Even us.

“Butterflies are self propelled flowers.”
~Robert A. Heinlein

No comments: