Wednesday, November 29, 2017

on our way

It's 9:30 am and we are sitting at the gate, hours and hours before our departure time. Why so early? Well, "they" say to get to the airport 3 hours ahead of time. Not to mention, I get antsy and restless until I'm actually sitting at the gate.

I'm starting to get over the upset of leaving home. Spike was a mess, shaking and hiding, until I said something that sounded (to him) like he was coming with us. That perked him up plenty. My heart broke seeing his sad face as we shut the door behind us. Poor wee thing. He's smart and knows we are going away for a while, but not smart enough to figure out that we'll be back.

Pat, the pet sitter, came over last night to join us for supper and give the dogs a chance to get comfortable with her again. Plus I could show her where all the food is.

We dropped the car off at Mom's and she was good enough to drive us to the airport. A quick visit with my parents was a great way to start the day off.


Mad dash through the airport... scarf is missing, did I leave it at security? It turns out no, but I'd dropped it on the floor and a shop keeper picked it up. Lucky save! This scarf has accompanied me around the world.


Two thirty and we've been  here in Montreal for a few hours. The flight from YOW to YUL was quick and easy. We flew over our house! We bumbled through security and customs and arrived at the gate with time to spare. Lots of time to spare. We must have been travelling in a 'hole' as there have been no lineups anywhere. We hardly needed the convenience of NEXUS.

I got lots of steps on my fitbit getting from one gate to the other - gosh it was far. Luckily we had lots of time and didn't have to run. Nothing like running in the airport for your flight.


We are here! Let me tell you when we got on the plane and found out they'd changed our window seat for the middle my spirits sunk... the middle... YUCK. The plane was packed with people squeezing all manner of luggage into the overhead bins leaving little space for ours. With a shoehorn and a bit of luck we got it stowed.

Sat down (me in the middle of the middle) and the guy on my right is hanging all over the armrest leaving me little space. And he was a heavy smoker. I almost choked. I reminded myself that it was just 3 1/2 hours and that I'd survive, and after all wouldn't it make for a funny story.

As it turns out, we started chatting, discovering many common interests, the time went by quickly. Bob is a businessman in his late 60s travelling with his son (across the aisle) for business. He is divorced after 44 years, lonely, and not sure where to take his life.

Maybe I was just charmed cause he said how good I looked for my age and that Carm and I are lucky to have each other. He's right. About the lucky  part. But our trip went quickly and before we knew it we had touched down safely.

Carm has just run out for some big macs and then it is time for bed. We've been on the road for 13 1/2 hours and I'm beat!


No comments: