Friday, November 3, 2017

thank you and farewell

Yesterday was my last appointment with my psych doctor as she is retiring. We had a pleasant 45 minutes with some of the time discussing what I should do if my mood fluctuates - I’m on my own now and it is a scary proposition. Of course my family doctor will step in if things go really off the rails, but that is not the same as her calm, professional care.

She is the third doctor that I’ve had since getting sick in 2004. After a few years, my first one suddenly moved to BC, leaving me in the lurch. I was still unstable and needed someone so I saw my family doctor for a recommendation. He eventually was able to find my the second doctor. I saw her for a few years before she also left town. Which led me to Dr. N at the end of 2010.

Since starting with her I have steadily improved. There were slight adjustments to my meds over the years, but more than that, I have better learned the things I need to do to keep well, including keeping daily records of things like sleep, activities, and medications. She taught me when I needed to up a dose and that it isn’t a bad thing to do so (I used to be reluctant to take anything extra). She helped me to deal with so many upsets in my life. She was always calm and elegant.

I’m not being very eloquent, but suffice it to say, I’m going to miss her.

Today Carm closed the pool (with only a tiny bit of help from me). Of course we haven't been swimming since mid September but we needed to keep the filter running to keep a high enough level of chlorine to keep the water from turning green. It’s cold enough now that not much will grow in the frigid water.

Couldn’t pick just one quote today…

Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”
~J.R.R. Tolkien

“To part is the lot of all mankind. The world is a scene of constant leave-taking, and the hands that grasp in cordial greeting today, are doomed ere long to unite for the the last time, when the quivering lips pronounce the word - 'Farewell”
~R.M. Ballantyne

No comments: