Thursday, January 25, 2018

freezing rain again

We had freezing rain Monday night into Tuesday. Spike had to go out in the middle of the night and I could see him slip sliding as he made his way across the snow. Tricky to do business when your feet don’t stay underneath you! Luckily it had changed to rain by mid morning and the roads were clear by early afternoon.

The temperatures dropped again and now our laneway is a treacherous skating rink and I am reluctant to stick my nose out the door. I did eventually work up the nerve and strapped on my ‘icers’ so I could (gingerly) walk down the laneway… once... Sheer ice.

I’ve been in a cooking mood lately and have been trying some new recipes. Two Sundays ago when Pat was over I tried a ‘creamy wild rice soup’ which was good, but I don’t think it was good enough to waste a cup of wild rice over.

This past Sunday (Pat was over again), I made a lentil mushroom shepherds pie and I’ll have to say that it was fantastic. It got an easy 5/5 stars from all of us. I wasn’t sure if I’d like it as lentils are not my favorite, but the seasoning was bang on so it wasn’t ‘lentily’ at all.

Tuesday night I made up an onion mushroom soup. Again, 5/5. It took a lot of cooking time in the IP but since it was all unattended it was no big deal. I often throw together a bunch of ingredients together and usually forget how much of everything I used, so lately I’ve been either updating the recipe with my changes, or adding new recipe to the database. I use an app called Cheftap on my tablet/phone/pc that imports recipes from the internet with just a press of the button. Then I can categorize and edit the recipe. There is an export feature to take a backup, and since it is in the cloud I can access from all my devices. How cool is that!

We had Jo Ellen and Don over last night to celebrate them booking the Panama cruise with us. We are now a group of 8, including Andy & Edna, as well as Jo Ellen’s cousin Kathy & Neil. We are excited :-)

We have all our bookings, including air and hotel, for another Caribbean cruise the beginning of April. We may have lost our minds a bit (especially Carm, this was pretty much his idea). I told Spike but I don’t think he understood… I may use a DAP collar for him as these supposedly alleviate anxiety - does anyone have any experience with them? I may need one for myself :-0

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”
~Ursula K. Le Guin

No comments: